12.17.2008

War Of The Ritchies intensifies

Guy forces Team Madonna to admit £50m divorce pay-off is 'misleading'

No matter how hard they try to keep it civil, the blows still keep on coming.

Just
days after Madonna's spokeswoman outlined the £50-£60million divorce
settlement the singer's ex-husband would receive, her camp have had to
backtrack over 'misleading and inaccurate' claims.

In an attempt
to counter initial speculation that he would walk away from the
marriage without a penny, Madonna's spokeswoman Liz Rosenberg earlier
this week took the unusual step of speaking publicly about the
settlement.


Madonna

Business as usual: Madonna, who was forced to
backtrack over claims Guy Ritchie would receive £50million, was spotted
rehearsing in Brazil yesterday

Madonna was said to be
furious over suggestions Ritchie refused to accept anything from her
estimated £300million fortune and was only interested in maintaining
access to his children.

Rosenberg claimed on Monday that
Ritchie, 40, would actually receive 'one of the largest payouts ever in
a divorce settlement' an estimated £50-£60 million.

The sum was
said to be made up of £2.4million in cash and a large portfolio of
property including homes in London, New York and Wiltshire.

It
was also understood that Ritchie, who is currently directing a film
about the Victorian detective Sherlock Holmes, would gain artwork worth
up to £5million given to him by his wife.

However today his
spokesperson released a stinging 'joint' statement on behalf of the
former couple which left Madonna's PR offensive in tatters.

The
statement read: 'We have tried to maintain a dignified silence
regarding the details of our divorce for the last few months whilst
accepting the obvious media interest.


Madonna

The band plays on: Madonna put aside the divorce saga as she squeezed in some guitar practice


Guy Ritchie

Fighting back: Guy Ritchie on the set of Sherlock Holmes earlier this week


'A misleading and inaccurate statement, specifically in relation to the
sums of money involved, was wrongly issued to AP this week.

'The financial details of the settlement will remain private, save to say that both of us are happy with our agreement.

'Our primary concern, like any co-parents, is the care and well being of our children.'

The
residency arrangement for the couple's children - Rocco, eight, and
David, three - is yet to be finalised. The singer also has a daughter
Lourdes, born in 1996, from her relationship with fitness trainer
Carlos Leon.

Despite the embarrassing U-turn, it was business as
usual for the 50-year-old singer who was spotted rehearsing in Brazil
ahead of her concert Sao Paulo tomorrow night.

She is in the middle of her three-month Sticky & Sweet world tour, which has netted an estimated £186million.

It
was reported earlier this week that Ritchie's legal team renegotiated
maintenance after discovering that Madonna's tour had been the
biggest-grossing by a solo artist ever.

The tour is scheduled to end on December 21.

Meanwhile,
Ritchie, who moved out of the home the couple shared and into a studio
flat above his office, also in Central London, is expected to spend
Christmas with his sons, who have spent recent weeks on tour with the
singer.

A source says: ‘Guy hasn’t seen the kids for weeks
and he is desperate to be with them over the holidays. They have been
travelling a lot and he just wants them home.

‘He can’t wait.
He’s so looking forward to having some quality time with his son and he
will spoil him rotten. Not with expensive gifts but little treats like
letting Rocco watch some TV and eat a few sweets.’

During her
marriage, Madonna reportedly permitted the family to only eat a
macrobiotic diet and prohibited the children from watching TV.

source